Practical Tips: First Aid

In the Spring 2014 edition of the KBTF Newsletter, there was a feature article on Pet First Aid. For the regular column known as “Something Borrowed” in that edition, we asked you to share an experience when your KBT was injured and you needed to use first aid. While it appears that most of us fortunately have not had traumatic injuries to our beloved KBTs, here are two stories about people who have had to deal with them and their actions. We share them on the KBTF website as there was no room in the newsletter to include these responses.

Treating a Deep Flesh Wound

When Lancelot was a puppy he got his leg caught in an anchor we had used to reinforce our mini barn in the back of the house. He started barking but could
not get loose. I ran towards him as he barked and cried. When I got to him, he had gotten loose and I could see there was a long tear in his paw and
leg. I picked him up, got him into the house, and immediately got a towel. I wrapped it tightly around his 8 inch bloody paw and leg but not so tightly
that it cut off circulation. Called the vet, then called for a police escort and Tom and I went to the vet who was waiting for us. Lance had emergency
surgery and we picked him up 4 hours later. Fortunately, it did not get into muscle area but was just a deep flesh wound.

Because of Lancelot?s blood on us, Tom and I had to go for a tetanus shot at our local hospital. I was still in my pajamas so it was quite a scene! Lance
recovered well and he was running in the backyard the next day with his Elizabethan collar. I was sick for days!

From Chelo Lewter, Murfreesboro TN

(Editor’s Note: Lancelot, who shared so many adventures with us over the years, crossed the Rainbow Bridge April 9, 2014. We will all miss his stories, his joy, and his obvious love of the good Kerry Life.)

Treating a Broken Leg

When Ganni was only 19 weeks old (!), she was chasing Addy and slipped under a wooden rocking chair-she stood up straight and broke her long bone in her
right hind leg. I have never heard such a noise from a dog! I quickly got to her side and pick her up without touching that leg-it was just hanging.
I placed her on my lap and we got a crate and loaded her as gently as we could to transport her to the vet?s.

As I was driving I had a little girl crying in the crate and I was dying a little each mile to the vet?s. Of course it was Sunday . . .

We got her to the vet?s and he started X-rays and beginning care for a fracture. He got her asleep and full of antibiotics so that we could wait until
the next morning to transport her 250 miles to a big city to a surgeon who could pin her leg and set it. During the drive up she was very quiet and
slept most of the way but by the time we arrived she was soaked with urine because I couldn’t let her out to walk her on her leg.

Surgery that evening was done to set the leg-one large plate and six screws. The next day she was up and full of energy. Of course the standard order from
the doctor was “keep her as quiet as possible” – -don’t think they had a 19 week old Kerry in mind with that direction. She was in a soft cast with
a Fentanyl patch for pain. I changed that cast every week for the next 2 months – I learned a lot about wound care and wrapping her leg just

Ganni Claire was a perfect girl-as soon as I put her on a table she would lay back and let me unwrapped her leg, clean the wound, dry it, then rewrap the
leg and put a long sock over the soft cast. As soon as she was done it was off the table and she was going like a house afire. She never missed a beat
in her puppyhood and continued her growth as the best little Kerry girl. She has never walked with a limp and in the process of letting me care for
her, she became a better ?patient? so that when she needs treatment for other things she will let her mom do just about anything for her.

-From N?anne Smith, Rosell NM

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
Notify of

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top